MerGeo is seeking a member of the active outdoors sports community to assist with its events.
An ideal candidate would be eager to support our events in a variety of capacities throughout the event, take initiative when they see opportunities to help, be comfortable working outside both as part of a team and alone, and be an avid fan of outdoor recreation who enjoys being a calm, friendly and welcoming face to members of our outdoor recreation community.
MerGeo is a Seattle-based company that produces private and public events that promote exploration of the outdoors, whether wooded or urban, from four kilometer trail runs to 24-hour navigation races. We love providing opportunities for beginners to engage with the outdoors, while also creating opportunities for seasoned outdoors people and top athletes to challenge themselves.
The company produces three series of events: Northwest Trail Runs, Northwest Nav Races, and Street Scramble. In a typical year, we produce 40-50 events, including about 35 trail runs, and most of our work centers around these events. Several staff and scores of volunteers play a vital role in producing the events.
The Event Assistant’s main responsibilities include:
- Participating in the on-schedule production of events on event-day, from unloading and set-up of equipment to pack-up
- Assisting the Volunteer Coordinator & Event Director as directed, including tasks such as participant registration, event timing and other finish line tasks, directing parking, staffing aid stations, or preparing food
- Transporting event supplies to aid stations, including by driving the company truck
- Working collaboratively with other event staff and volunteers
- Engaging with customers to provide a welcoming environment and answering questions
This position reports to the company Owner, Event Director, and Volunteer Coordinator.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Interpersonal skills; able to communicate effectively verbally to maintain a good working relationship with a diversity of people both inside and outside the company, while contributing to a friendly and stress-reducing environment
- Physical skills; able to do medium-to-heavy physical work outdoors in all weather, including lifting and carrying event supplies, setting up canopies and folding tables, etc.
- Prioritization skills; able to prioritize tasks to keep events running on schedule and ensure safety and quality for participants, staff, and volunteers
- Flexibility; able and willing to learn new skills and take on task areas as needed for the success of the company
- Availability; able to work at most events on event-day and assist with event preparation during the week prior to remote and large events. Able to travel, including overnight stays, for events that are not in the Seattle/Eastside metro area.
- Skills that overlap with other company jobs/tasks, such as map and compass literacy, visual/spatial skills, comfort working alone outdoors, etc.
The office is in Magnuson Park in Seattle, WA. Events primarily take place all over the greater Puget Sound area, with some events across Washington State. The Event Assistant is expected to be at most events, but coverage for absences can be planned for with adequate lead time. The Event Assistant works primarily at event locations, however there may be occasional event related tasks to be completed at other locations. Hours are dependent on the event schedule.
Employment and Compensation:
W-2 employee, 5-30 hours per week (5-10 typical), $21/hour starting base pay with discretionary bonuses and pay raises dependent upon personal and company performance. Monthly workload varies according to event schedule, and there will be weeks with no events and no work. Opportunity to increase hours and responsibilities for a very strong performer.
Send your resume to Eric Bone at firstname.lastname@example.org
In the body of your e-mail, please share why this role interests or excites you.
The position will be open until filled.