Volunteer Coordinator & Assistant Event Director
MerGeo is seeking a person to recruit and manage volunteers for its events and to support the Event Director in directing events
The primary focus of the work is, through clear and timely communications and relationship management, to maintain, expand, and recruit from our volunteer corps for our three series of events: Northwest Trail Runs, Northwest Nav Races, and Street Scramble.
An ideal candidate would have a passion for outdoor events, good attention to details (including those of task, time, and place), strong interpersonal and communication skills, and a desire to maintain relationships with our volunteers.
The Volunteer Coordinator & Assistant Event Director’s main responsibilities include:
- Facilitate a good experience for both participants and volunteers by providing an excellent level of communication and information
- Maintain strong relationships with volunteers, treating them with respect and adapting volunteering asks to their circumstances, aptitudes, and interests
- Track volunteering and reward volunteers
- Work with the Event Director and other staff to compile an accurate list of volunteer needs for each event and to fill those volunteer positions
- Support the Event Director in the smooth running of events by welcoming and directing volunteers in their tasks
- Act as the Event Director when the Event Director is not able to be at an event
- Participate in an advisory role in certain decisions related to the business, including creating our event schedule and some details of how we present our events
This position reports to the company Owner and works alongside the Event Director, as well as liaising with other staff.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Able to initiate and maintain relationships with volunteers and adapt communication frequency, style, and type of volunteer ask to the individual
- Strong email and verbal communication skills (in English, at least), including clear writing and timely follow-up
- Good prioritization and tracking skills; able to keep track and prioritize work on many different events, people, communication threads, and tasks
- Computer proficiency, including using spreadsheet applications, and communicating via email and via other online media
- Experience participating, working on, or volunteering at running or other outdoor events
- Interest in course marking and the requisite skills: good visual/spatial skills, map literacy, comfort and self-sufficiency working alone in the outdoors
MerGeo is a Seattle-based company that produces private and public events that promote exploration of the outdoors, whether wooded or urban, from four kilometer trail runs to 24-hour navigation races. We love providing opportunities for beginners to engage with the outdoors, while also creating opportunities for seasoned outdoors people and top athletes to challenge themselves.
The office is in Magnuson Park in Seattle, WA. Events primarily take place all over the greater Puget Sound area, with some events across Washington State, though the Volunteer Coordinator & Assistant Event Director is not required to be at all events. The Volunteer Coordinator & Assistant Event Director may work primarily from home, apart from event-day work. Hours are often flexible and are event schedule dependent.
Employment and Compensation:
W-2 employee, 5-25 hours per week (10-20 typical), $20/hour starting pay with discretionary bonuses and pay raises dependent upon company and individual performance. Opportunity to increase hours and responsibilities for a very strong performer.
Send your resume to Eric Bone at firstname.lastname@example.org
In the body of your e-mail, please share why this role interests or excites you.
The position will be open until it is filled.